How to Make Kabsa with Chicken
There are hundreds of kabsa recipes, but this is a traditional way to make this in t he Middle East. Many will make the Saudi kabsa with vegetables, such as carrots, peas and potatoes, but this one if the best tasting. It is simple to make.
- Soak the rice in hot water while preparing this meal (at least 30 minutes). Place the ghee and the butter in a teflon or non-stick skillet. When the oils are hot add in the chopped onions.
- Add in the chicken pieces also and saute' the onions and brown the chicken on both sides.Add in the tomatoes and the stock.
- Stir well and then add in the seasoning, tasting to see if you need more. Cook the chicken for thirty minutes or until 3/4 way done.
- Drain the rice and add in enough water to cover the rice by two inches. Cover the kabsa with a lid and reduce the heat to medium.
- Check periodically on the kabsa as you may need some more hot water. Never add cold water when cooking with rice.
- Once the rice is done and the water is absorbed, set the rice on the counter to rest. Now take a bit of oil and heat. Add in the slivered almonds and fry until a light golden brown. Drain the almonds on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Place the kabsa on a large platter and surround the kabsa with chopped parsley and the slivered almonds. Serve with yogurt or yogurt and cucumber salad (salatat khiar ma'a laban).