Mjaddara with Rice and Sweet Potatoes
This is a favorite in Jordan and used all the time. There are many variations for this delicious meal including adding sweet potatoes. I tried this out one day when I had extra sweet potatoes and to this day, it is my favorite. This meal is very easy to make.
- 1 cup lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil - not extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Wash the lentils well and place them in a heavy bottom sauepan along with the water.
- Bring to boil and cook for an hour and half or till they are soft and done. Add the oil to a small frying pan and then saute' the sweet potatoes and onions.
- Add the rice to the lentils along with the onions and sweet potatoes. Add in the salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan and cook for another 20 minutes or until the rice is done and the water is absorbed. Be careful not to burn the meal.
- Serve this meal with yogurt and cucumbers.