Roasted Leg of Lamb with Rosemary
Leg of lamb is a traditional meal here in Jordan for the rich and famous. Leg of lamb is an expensive cut of meat and one that is not afforded by many. It is extremely easy to prepare. If you have a bit of garlic, some fresh rosemary and some oil, you can make this local delicacy.
- 1 leg of lamb
- Olive oil or ghee
- Several sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Take a paring knife and insert holes all over the leg as pictured above. Brush the entire leg with oil and then season well with salt and pepper.
- Place one small chunk of garlic and one small sprig of rosemary in each hole made with the paring knife. Place on a large baking pan.
- Bake the leg on in a hot preheated oven of 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325 and roast the lamb leg for another 40 minutes (rare).
- If you want your meat medium or well done, then cook it longer. If the lamb gets too brown, cover with some aluminum foil.
- Use a meat thermometer and check the temperature. 140 degrees for rare and 145 to 150 for medium. If you do not have a thermometer, then check the meat with a small insertion of a knife.